So, everyone of us knows YouTube.
The most famous video-sharing portal in the world-wide-web! It doesn’t matter what you want, YouTube has it! The latest music videos, film trailer, tutorials for everything you can imagine, cooking shows, comedy shows and a whole bunch of cute cat videos! Not only can you watch, what you want, you even can upload your own content! And the best of all: it’s for free!
You see, there are a whole lot of positive things about YouTube. But is it possible to find the one or another negative fact? Of course!
But let’s start of with five positive things about YouTube:
- DIVERSITY: Just like I said in the introduction: You can find everything on YouTube! Your bike broke and you don’t wanna spend loads of money to get it fixed? No problem! Just watch a tutorial. Don’t know what to cook for dinner? Get inspiration from tons of cooking videos! What lipstick to wear? The beauty gurus will know the answer.
- FREE: YouTube is totally free. Sometimes annoying advertising shows up, before you can watch the actual video, but that’s okay.
- EASY: It’s easy to understand and almost everybody can use it. You wanna show a video to Uncle Jeff from Texas? Just upload it, send the link and he can see it!
- COMMUNITY: Some of the ‘big YouTubers’ already have whole fan bases and events like the VidCon get more and more popular. YouTube is growing and step by step becoming a different kind of social network.
- INDIVIDUALITY: Everyone can be what they wanna be on Youtube. (Except you’re a criminal, racist, perverted psychopath.) And if don’t make Videos by yourself, you can comment on videos an give opinions. Also there is this fancy thing with the thumbs up and thumbs down, if you are too lazy for writing a comment.
Okay, sounds all fun and games.
But are there weak points about this website? Let’s see:
- GOOGLE: Since Google bought the whole thing, you need to have a Google account for signing in. In some cases you also need to have an Google+ account (and let’s be serious: Who would ever use that by his or her own choice?)
- SETTINGS: Sometimes YouTube thinks it knows you better than you know yourself and just changes its settings and suddenly there are no more videos on your news feed. Then you have to find a solution for the problem, because of course you want to see all of your subscriptions! (You’ll find the solution probably explained in a YouTube video.)
- LAYOUT: Every few months some YouTube-worker just decides to change the whole Layout. They present it as the best thing that ever happened, but the truth is, that it’s extremely confusing and you can’t find anything. After a few days you got used to it and it’s okay, but is this constant change really necessary? (Nope.)
- STUPIDITY: The stupid/ mean/ ignorant people. The are everywhere. On your Facebook newsfeed, in your personal environment. Also on YouTube they are not hard to find, they are mostly in the comment section under a video. But YouTube has these wonderful little features to fight against them: The ‘mark as spam’ and ‘thumbs down’ button.
- FAME: There are a lot of people, that got (sort of) famous because of YouTube. That’s cool. But if you want to become one of them, it’s really hard because YouTube only recommends you videos from people, that are YouTube partners and already have millions and billions of clicks and not videos from new and ‘small’ YouTubers.
Okay, that is my little pro/ contra list of YouTube.
Even though I found a few negative and really annoying aspects, it still is one of my favorite websites.